Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Ever since I was little I have been an ardent admirer of the written language. Even before I could understand the words written on pages. I would hole up in my shared bedroom and for hours go through the books that we had on a plastic coated wire bookcase that sat underneath the window. My mother likes to comment about how strange it was for her to have my older sister, a rambunctious child who always had to be around everyone or anyone, and then to suddenly have an introverted child who would rather keep to her self. Baffling. But then my sisters personality takes after my fathers whereas mine takes strictly after my mothers.
Knowing this little tid-bit about myself, it should come as no surprise that reading is a simple pleasure in my life. I recently had the opportunity to finish reading the novel, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by the Swedish author Stieg Larsson. Minus the violence and the sexual references, I found the novel to be one of the most well written works that I have read. It's hard to describe, but, Larsson has a way of describing scenarios and characters in a simple and clear-cut manner. He's able to give you a massive amount of information without overwhelming you. When you read his novel it feels like you are actually there because of how straight forward he is with giving information. You never know anything the characters don't know and discover things as they discover them. 
The novel is about the disappearance case of Harriet Vanger, a member of one of the wealthiest families in Sweden. Her disappearance happens in the 1960's in the little town of Hedstad, Sweden. The Vanger family is led to believe that Harriet was the victim of a heinous crime when no trace of her could be found. Forty years after the crime, Mikael Blomkvist, an investigative reporter and co-owner of Millennium magazine, is suffering an accusation of libel against Hans-Erik Wennerstrom. While taking a break from his work as co-owner of Millennium, Mikael is hired by Henrik Vanger to solve the case of his niece Harriet. 
I am only going to give away the beginning of the story but if you are interested you won't be disappointed! It has some extremely morbid undertones, granted, but put it past you and check it out!   





  ~Nicole

P.S.: There is also a movie if you aren't interested in reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment